Top 10 Central America
It is impossible to draw up this list without having it dominated by one country: Guatemala. With its huge variety of natural attractions and beautiful culture, Guatemala has so much to offer. Having said that, Guatemala is pipped at the post for top spot.
1. Channel your inner Indiana Jones as you swim and scrambled through a river and over cascades in ATM Cave in Belize to reach an ancient Mayan sacrifice chamber
2. Stand on the edge of fire and get up close to Volcano Fuego’s lava eruptions, near Antigua in Guatemala
3. Swim in the stunning blue champagne waters of Semuc Champey, Guatemala
4. Listen to the phenomenal sounds of the Howler Monkey at sunrise at Tikal’s Mayan ruins, Guatemala
5. Eat coconuts and lobster on a deserted paradise island in Panama’s San Blas and meet the traditional Kuna people
6. Watch sunrise over Lake Atitlan from Mount San Pedro or Indian Nose, Guatemala
7. Snorkel with nurse sharks, stingrays and turtles in Hol Chan Marine Reserve off Caye Caulker, Belize
8. Wander the UNESCO city of Antigua, Guatemala
9. Search for whaleshakes and manta rays snorkelling or diving near Isla Coiba in the morning and take to the surf before sunset in Santa Catalina, Panama
10. Spot toucans, caiman, monkeys and turtles from a canoe in Tortuguero National Park, Costa Rica.
Check out my Top 10 for southern Mexico.